Monday 4 October 2010

Leaves and Buttons

Over the past few days it has been impossible to notice the change in colour of the leaves on the trees in our garden, and also the number of fallen leaves. I was sad to discover this today, though. Years ago, when Euan was about 10, he would enthusiastically collect literally hundreds of conkers at this time of year. For school playground games, for playing with at home, for baking in the bottom of the Rayburn or simply just because he could! Sarah was just 2, and wanted to copy whatever her big brother did. I decided, in a moment of madness, to get them to plant up a couple of containers with some of the spoils - one container each.
No-one was more surprised than me, when both containers started to display signs of growth! The result, our very own potted conker trees! Obviously, when we moved house they came with us and they are as much a part of our family as the cats. The ownership of the containers has blurred over the years and there is an unspoken competition over which will grow the tallest, have the most leaves etc each year.
What amuses me, is that no matter how small the tree, the leaves are a standard full grown tree size! Amazing. (and a bit odd).
I, personally, use them to let me know when Spring has arrived = new buds, or Autumn has really begun = orange leaves, then no leaves! This year, one of them has skipped a stage - and has jumped straight into the bare and interesting look. I have to admit, I feel a little sad.....

Moving onto buttons.... my last post about Button Tins has sparked a number of memories amongst my friends and readers. Today I have heard about people colour sorting Grandma's buttons, following patterns in the carpets, threading them all together with a bodkin and thread, to name but a few. What is interesting is that for everyone, the thought of a button tin brings back happy memories of childhood and relations who are perhaps no longer with us. Maybe I should start a National Button Tin Celebration Day? The whole day could be devoted to sorting, sifting, rattling, threading and just stepping back in time. Meanwhile, here is a photograph of one of my many button tins. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. How interesting that both buttons and conkers can remind us of family, love, and unbroken connections.

    Perhaps it's just as well that buttons don't grow if you plant them?!

    ReplyDelete